Hope Church fasts corporately the first M-W of each month. Fasting brings unity and a strong awareness of our need for dependence upon God. It heightens our hunger for His presence in our midst. We believe God for great things in our church and community, fasting together releases unity and clarity of vision in our body to step into everything He has called us for.
We began holding Corporate Fasts in 2014 and have seen it impact the direction and life of the church more than any other single thing. It has opened us up to the heart of the Father, and given us the capacity to see what his vision for our fellowship in in an incredibly effective way.
Simply stated, Biblical fasting is refraining from food for a spiritual purpose
*According to Matthew 6, there are three duties of every Christian: give, pray and fast.
*Biblical fasting takes a lot of discipline and strength—strength which you can only receive from God. Your private discipline will bring you rewards in Heaven, says Matthew 6.
When you give God your first through fasting, prayer and giving at the beginning of the month, you set the course for the entire month.
Why should I fast?
- Are you in need of healing or a miracle?
- Do you need the tender touch of God in your life?
- Is there a dream inside you that only He can make possible?
- Are you in need of a fresh encounter?
- Do you desire a deeper, more intimate and powerful relationship with the Lord?
- Are you ready to have heightened sensitivity to the desires of God?
- Do you need to break away from bondages that have been holding you hostage?
- Is there a friend or loved one that needs Salvation?
- Do you desire to know God’s will for your life?
Types of Fasts
1. Full Fast- Drink only liquids
2. Daniel Fast- Eat no meat, no sweets and no bread. Drink water and juice. Eat fruits and vegetables.
3. Partial Fast- A partial fast is from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm or from sun up to sundown. You can select from three types of fasting —a Full Fast, Daniel Fast or give up at least one item of food during the fast timeframe.
Purpose of the Fast
Fasting prepares you for God’s answers. Fasting is not a way to, “twist God’s arm” so that you get the answers you want. It is simply separating yourself to draw nearer to God so that His purposes will prevail.
We encourage you to seek the Lord in prayer and let your decisions about your biblical fasting come from Him. Ask the Lord to show you areas to target during your time of fasting and prayer. We believe that, as we pray and seek God and give Him our best at the first of the year, He will bless our ENTIRE year (Matthew 6:33)!